See The Falling Dominoes of Macondo: A Failure of Defence in Depth on our new Process Safety website.
In examining why they failed, Hopkins looks at how independent the barriers were, or rather, how interdependent they actually are. The barriers behaved like falling dominos. Once one fell, the others followed. Understanding the nature of these barriers allows for a critical analysis of the system of defence in depth. In this safety training video, not only does Hopkins analyse why these failures contributed to multiple fatalities and a devastating environmental disaster, he deconstructs the plans put in place in response to the blowout.
The program is relevant to process safety management.
- Elearning deliverable across your company intranet
- Intranet licence
- Corporate licence
Click here for a brochure on both programs
Click here for more licencing information...
Key learning outcomes:
At the end of the workshop,participants will:
- Be aware that defence in depth can only work if the barriers operate independently of each other
- Understand what one must consider when developing response plans in the event of a blowout
- Be aware that the organisational structure is what formed a basis for the choices made leading up to the Macondo Blowout
- Be mindful of how a focus on commercial risk may contribute to failure of barriers.
- 26 minute safety training DVD featuring Professor Hopkins
- CD with supporting material that includes PowerPoint presentations.
Macondo Blowout: The Human and Organisatinal Causes
If you would like to evaluate samples of these please contact us:
email@example.com | t: +61 2 9279 4499 | fax: 61+2 9279 4488
Other DVD training by Professor Andrew Hopkins:
Macondo Blowout: The Human and Organisational Causes
Creating a Mindful Organisation
Acting on Warning Signs (This is a revised and shortened version of the full-day workshop Creating a Mindful Organisation. The extensive Gretley Mine case study is not included.)
Mindful Leadership with Reference to BP Texas City
Mindful Leadership: Communication Skills
Preventing Disaster: Learning from Longford
Other training DVDs relevant to Process Safety & Risk Management:
The Complete Auditor
Power of Process Auditing
Risk Maker Risk Taker
Unclear and Present Danger: Situation Awareness at Every Level
Process Safety & Risk Management Brochure
Professor Hopkins’ Books
Professor Hopkins' Book Order Form - Australia
Professor Hopkins Book Order Form - International
About Professor Andrew Hopkins